Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oversigning

Just stumbled into this article...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/01/24/oversigning/index.html

Whoa is my reaction. I guess I never really thought about discrepencies about recruiting scholarship players. I was shocked to see that many schools sign way more players than they are able to keep around on scholarship...this gives schools a bit of an advantage in terms of getting commits with no intention or keeping them all. This seems kind of dishonest to the students...oh, and the SEC is the biggest culprit. The Big 10 outlawed this practice in 1956!

I'm not saying I fully get it now...and maybe there is another angle to look at, but it doesn't seem right from an NCAA perspective of student-athlete. Obviously it's about using kids to the programs best interests, not the student-athletes. Also - football is the only sport with the exception! I do grant them the grace that injuries and academic ineligibilities happen, but come on! Check out the article - follow some of the links there...it's crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment