Sunday, July 10, 2011

Football Picks for the Fall

Ok, so it is time to expand this site a bit and make it possible for people to pick games in comparison to the experts. Basically, do what Joe & I did this past fall, but now open it up to others. I'll figure out the best way to have people post their picks, so that I can track and post results on this site. But I also think it is important to compare them not only with each other, but with the "experts." That should not be too hard, but is just something I'll have to look up on ESPN, Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, and the other major sports websites.

I think there will continue to be 2 categories: NCAA Football and NFL. That is, if the NFL season happens!

What I am thinking is keeping it pretty simple - in picking straight-up winners (no against the spread). I want people to be able to give the reasons for picks - I'm thinking a tweet level max to each pick will keep it short enough.

Thoughts on how to choose which games to pick in NCAA? NFL is easy to do all of them, but for NCAA there are way too many games to pick each week. Perhaps I'll just put the criteria at 30 games picked, with mandated picks for any game involving a Top 25 team. That will give flex picks for people to choose base on their preference, like league or alma mater. Because of course I'm going to pick Army each and every week! (And probably to win too - so that gives everyone a chance to catch me!) I'll have to keep thinking about this, and look into the options of this blog to see the best way to post things if we get (like I'm hoping) many people.

Maybe the best way is to run it through a site like ESPN that has the various fantasy games? Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. (NCAA-ideas)hm...well pick one game from each conference (11 games). Then pick maybe the 3 highest top 25 match ups (#1v#2, #5v#9, #14v#16). Maybe throw a little screwball in there and randomly select a d1-a match up? and try to find a few significant rivalries from around the nation. so if army/navy is playing that should be a pick over...auburn/Florida international. and then maybe just if its a highlighted game by espn that week, we "pick" that also. just a few ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian - like your ideas - but I'm going to stick with EVERY Top 25 team game in a given week. There needs to be a baseline that we can use to compare against the "experts" at ESPN, Fox Sports, etc.

    But like the conference idea - that is a pretty good idea! Of course everyone will pick Army-Navy! And everyone who picks Navy will have to get whupped. ha!

    ReplyDelete